HomeHealthCan Dogs Eat Chocolate? What Should I Do If My Dog Ate...

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate? What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Chocolate?

Key takeaways from this article:

  • Theobromine – the key substance is particularly harmful if a dog eats chocolate. 
  • Within two hours of consumption, dogs may begin to exhibit some specific signs of chocolate poisoning (vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach, etc.)
  • There are some simple steps to prevent your dog from eating chocolate, and some helpful information for you to solve properly if your dog accidentally eats some of this sweet.

Is Chocolate Bad for Dogs? Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?

Chocolate is certainly one of human’s favorite things to consume. It is delicious and safe for people so can dogs eat chocolate? The answer is: No. 

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs since this treat includes theobromine and caffeine, both of which can raise a dog’s heart rate and excite their nervous system. You should calculate your dog’s risk of toxicity using this simple application

Theobromine and Caffeine are two main elements in chocolate that can cause bad effects in dogs.

The likelihood that your dog may get sick after eating chocolate depends on the kind, quantity, and weight of the dog. Different forms of chocolate would have different amounts of these harmful ingredients. Following are a few chocolate varieties, sorted by theobromine content:

  1. Cocoa powder
  2. Unsweetened baker’s chocolate
  3. Semisweet chocolate
  4. Dark chocolate
  5. Milk chocolate

Theobromine, a compound harmful to dogs, is found in the highest concentrations in baking chocolate, dark chocolate, and cocoa. Therefore, consuming even a tiny quantity of these chocolates might severely harm your dog. In contrast, milk chocolate and white chocolate have lower theobromine content and could be less harmful. 

Then how much chocolate can a dog eat? The recommended level of chocolate consumption for your dog is zero. If your dog does manage to eat any chocolate, it might not be harmful or fatal if it is only a tiny quantity (like a piece of your cookie). 

What Happens If a Dog Eats Chocolate?

If your dog ate chocolate and underwent poisoning, it can experience the following side effects:

  • Diarrhea;
  • Upset stomach;
  • Vomiting;
  • Urination;
  • Abnormal heartbeat;
  • Irritability;
  • Muscle tremors;
  • Seizures;
  • Death.

To save your dog’s life, you must act right away if you see any of the aforementioned signs. 

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

What to do if a dog eats chocolate?

Firstly, in the event that you think your dog may have consumed chocolate, call the vet right away. 

Next, save the chocolate packaging your dog consumed so that your veterinarian will be able to treat your dog appropriately given the situation.

If you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate or if they exhibit any of the severe symptoms mentioned above, take them as quickly as you can to the doctor, especially if they have a lot of chocolate or chocolate that is really dark (with a high theobromine content).

To help your dog vomit it out of its system, your veterinarian may also provide activated charcoal, which can prevent theobromine from entering the bloodstream. Act quickly and get your dog the chocolate poisoning treatment he needs to make the greatest possible recovery. In extreme situations, more intensive care and nightly nursing may be necessary.

How to Prevent Your Dog from Eating Chocolate

Dogs are likely to want to eat everything you are eating because, like humans, they are lured to sweets. Make sure your dog never comes into touch with chocolate since dogs are prone to eat chocolate if given the chance. Here are some pieces of advice for the issue “What to do when your dog eats chocolate”.

  • Put it away: Ensure that all chocolate products, including cocoa powder and hot chocolate mix, are kept out of the dog’s reach, preferably on a high shelf in a pantry with closed doors.
  • Teach your dog to a strict command (the “Leave it” command): You can stop your pet from eating anything that falls to the ground or is left within its reach when out on a walk. Additionally, teaching this command is not difficult at all.
  • Train your dog in a crate: This is the most secure technique to guarantee that your dog won’t consume anything poisonous while you’re not watching. For your dog to retire when he needs some alone time or when you can’t monitor him, get a solid crate that is big enough for him to stand up and turn around. Give him toys with his favorite blanket, and goodies to make the box feel like his personal den.
  • Make sure any people who interact with your dog are aware of the risks associated with chocolate for dogs. Also, when children are around the dog, keep an eye on them and make sure they understand it’s not okay to give the animal chocolate.

What You Need to Know When Your Dog Eats Chocolate

Take care of your dog with useful chocolate-poison information.

What Makes Chocolate Poisonous for Dogs?

It is theobromine. Only a few hours are the compound’s half-life in humans but theobromine in dogs has a half-life of around 18 hours, which is unfortunate for our furry friends, according to an online post from the National Institutes of Health. The respiratory system, cardiovascular system, and central nervous system are all impacted by the chemical.

How Much Chocolate Can Kill a Dog?

According to the chocolate toxicity calculator, a small dog weighing 11–26 pounds would need emergency care after eating a standard-sized extra dark chocolate bar. A small dog’s deadly dosage is calculated to be two and a half regular milk chocolate bars.

How Long Does It Take a Dog to Recover After Eating Chocolate?

Your dog might need up to 3 days for a recovery process after eating chocolate.

How Long Does It Take for Chocolate Poisoning Symptoms to Kick in?

Within two hours of consumption, dogs may begin to exhibit signs of chocolate poisoning. According to the NIH statement, 24 hours is the common time for dogs before experiencing the typical symptoms.

Conclusion

While chocolate is a delectable treat for people, it is not healthy for dogs. Dogs frequently experience chocolate poisoning, which is frequently caused by unintentional intake. Dogs may be poisoned by chocolate, although the severity of the poisoning varies depending on the type of chocolate, how much was consumed, and the size of the dog.

Don’t wait to see whether your dog exhibits any poisonous symptoms if you think they may have eaten chocolate or if you catch them eating it. Contact your veterinarian right away. The more quickly your pet is treated, the more likely that your dog might recover safely.

Camp Canine Florida
Camp Canine Florida
We are special people who love pets, especially dogs. Over the past 3 years, we have accumulated a lot of experience in how to care for and train dogs. Now, what we're doing is building an in-depth blog to share knowledge that will help you get to know your dogs better, making you and your dog best friends.

Related Articles